Why Buy A Used Car?

Buying a new car is not something 98% of the people out there need to be doing. It is a luxury item. Only buy a new car if you're filthy rich.

There are alternatives to buying new. Used lots are overflowing, and millions of cars come from expired leases.

The money saved by buying a used car is because of depreciation (the loss of the financial value of an object due to its use). Used cars have already depreciated (60 to 70% in the first 5 years). Buying used allows the person who bought the car when it was new to eat the cost of the depreciation. Then the person who buys the car used can get a great car for much less than the new wholesale prices.

If you want to know what used cars are selling for these days, look online. I recommend the following sites:

* KBB.com
* Edmunds.com
* Carmax.com

Also, call some of the banks in your area and ask them how they dispose of their repossessions. If they have a repo auction in your area, this is a great way to find good deals.

But the best deals you can find are usually from individuals because they are trying to get rid of their vehicles. Look in your area papers and find what's for sale.

But I Really, Really, Really Want That Car!

Before you take the plunge, listen.

When I went broke, my wife and I were sharing a car. My friend let me use a piece-of-junk car for a while. It was horrible! But, I was set in my mind to not borrow money. I ended up saving like crazy, and what I would have put into a car payment, I ended up saving toward a new car. It was the best thing I could have done for myself.

Say you are looking into financing a sports car with payments of $400 per month... The car that you are driving now is worth around $1,500. If you take that $400 and pay yourself instead of paying it to the dealer, you will save $4,000 in 10 months. You will have $1,500 from selling your old car, so you will be able to buy a $5,500 car just 10 months from now. Continue doing that for another 10 months and you will be able to buy yourself a $10,000 car. That is only 20 months away. You can do it!